Certificate of Lawful Use or Development

Certificate of Lawful Use or Development


Many new buildings or changes to the use of buildings or sites will require planning permission. If a local authority finds that a building or site either does not have permission at all, or is not in accordance with permission which has been granted, then they can take enforcement action – unless you have a Certificate of Lawful Existing Use or Development (CLEUD).


Enforcement action can only be taken within certain time limits:


  • Ten years for the change of use of a building or land to any use other

than a single dwelling.

  • Four years for the construction of a new building or structure
  • Four years for the change of use of a building to a single dwelling


A certificate of lawfulness is provides you with confirmation that the development or use is deemed as lawful in the eyes of the Local Planning Authority. If you would like to chat through the application process and whether it is right for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Leavers Rural Surveyors is the trading name of Leavers Rural Surveyors Ltd. Registered in England, Company No. 08681412. Registered Office: The Farm Office, White House Farm, Brookfield Road, Churchdown, Gloucestershire, GL3 2PE. Regulated by the RICS.