Agricultural Dwelling Applications

Agricultural Dwelling Applications


National planning policy has a general focus towards development within the boundaries of the existing built environment. However, there are certain circumstances where it may be possible to obtain planning permission for new dwellings and this is in the countryside. If there is a genuine proven need for a dwelling and a rural or agricultural worker to live on site, then planning permission could possibly be obtained. Whilst this has traditionally been limited to agricultural workers, it may also be possible for those working in other rural businesses, for example, equine, horticultural or forestry businesses.


Closely linked to this provision for agricultural workers is the presence of Agricultural Occupancy Ties – where permission has been granted for the dwelling, but restrictions placed on who is allowed to live there. Whether you’re considering the options for obtaining permission for a new dwelling, or no longer have need for your agricultural dwelling – we can help you to work out the best course of action and assist you as much or as little as needed.



We can help with:


  • Initial research into policies and feasibility
  • Business appraisals
  • Full planning applications
  • Drawings and plans
  • Statutory declaration and sworn statements
  • Lifting agricultural occupancy conditions
  • Establishing a lawful existing use through a CLEUD application


If you would like to discuss matters regarding your agricultural property, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are also happy to work with any existing planning advisors, to provide a full agricultural appraisal assessment to accompany a planning application.


Leavers Rural Surveyors is the trading name of Leavers Rural Surveyors Ltd. Registered in England, Company No. 08681412. Registered Office: The Farm Office, White House Farm, Brookfield Road, Churchdown, Gloucestershire, GL3 2PE. Regulated by the RICS.